Tuesday 24 September 2013

CAKE!!!


Hello World, Todays blog is all about cake! Since my first birthday my mum has always made me amazing birthday cakes that have always followed a theme. Normally they are about something that I'm obsessed with for that particular year. So Let's start from the beginning, well not the beginning because i can't remember the first 10 birthdays or so but when I was eleven I loved Ballet so she made me a white cake with pink frosting and a ballerina made out of icing sugar to decorate it. On my thirteenth birthday I loved my Daffy Duck toy so she made me a cake in the shape of a free standing bath with a Daffy Duck swimming in it (all out of icing sugar), and the list goes on.

She told me she would stop making me these amazing cakes every year on my twenty first birthday so for my twenty first the theme went to owls. I love owls, yes i know a little weird! My Mama (who I posted about previously) has always had a thing for owls and I guessed i just followed in her footsteps. When I turned eighteen, my best friend and I thought i would be a really good idea to go and get tattoos. I always said I would get an owl, might I add hat this was the worst idea ever and my tattoo is kind enough to be hidden away as often as humanly possible! So yes, I went and got a small tattoo of an owl between my shoulder blades- again, worst idea ever- but none the less it reminds me of my school years and my grand ma and there is nothing I would want to be reminded of more.

So, back to the cake! She made me this huge marzipan, sponge and icing chocolate cake in the shape of a tree with a big owl in the middle. My friends were gobsmacked! I've put a little picture below (if you need any cakes making she's the person to ask)




Naturally my brother got the same treatment. His cakes went from a pair of squash shoes to a set of golf clubs etc etc. My mum and I were always the more creative ones in the family (although i say that but my brothers are pretty amazing at drawing, designing etc.). When I moved away from home, I started making my own pretty cakes. I started with yummy cakes rather that aesthetic ones. I then went on to my make Mama's 90th birthday cake (my masterpiece), and my best friend Rosie's 22nd birthday cake. I love baking but don't get much chance to do it. I'd love to see anyone's amazing creations so please do share some links with me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment