Monday 28 October 2013

And then came the storm...

Hello all,

So this weeks adventure on the Cornish coast took us to a very stormy and adrenaline filled afternoon in Kynance Cove down by the Lizard. Kynance is one of those beautiful landscapes owned by the National Trust that brings back some great memories for me, from Ben's twenty first birthday to walking the dog during the heat wave summer we've had and generally one of my top five beautiful places to visit in Cornwall. The news had been threatening us with a raging storm and Ben and I decided to find out for ourselves. Just a few words of advice: when the BBC tells you there is going to be a storm, just listen to the clever people on the news! It was cold, wet, windy and of course, miserable but great for some photography! After a slightly nerve racking drive to the stormy coast we got to Kynance, all dressed up for the weather. As a photographer and keen surfer, Ben loves going storm hunting by the coast and in all fairness it is mesmerising (and damp). Although I enjoyed our little adventure, the wind was getting stronger and the rain harder. The storm was coming fast and I'm glad to say we did not get stuck on The Lizard, phew! 

Kynance Cove



Photographers were out in force for the wet and stormy weather trying to take the eye catching moment that the over grown waves hit the cliffs. The contrast between the dark grey skies and green landscape was beautiful and when I could get my camera out of my bag, I took some snaps of some of the people standing still against the strong winds. My pictures don't do the weather justice with waves reaching 10 to 20 feet at times and the white water crashing against the rocks. I'm also a very amateur camera user (yes, I can't even say word photographer when i'm talking about myself)

 Brave photographers out in force 
Ben braving the water spray from the crashing waves
Passer by 


After our wet adventure Ben came back up the cliffs from the sea front to head back to the car. We stopped by the side of the road on the way out as he wanted to take some pictures of the country side filled with Autumn colours and long wild grass in the scenery. I chose to wear jeans and a cotton jumper to go out in this weather and I would not it advise it to anyone! As much as I love my Zara jeans and they've lasted me years i'm not sure they are the waterproof trousers that people should have in mind when battling with a storm. Another word of advice: when getting ready to go storm hunting, layers are great but waterproof layers are better! I was thinking more warm than dry and it was a crucial error! I've added a little taster below of some "real" photography by Benjamin Rutherford below that actually captures how brutal the waves and weather were today.




   


                Photography By Benjamin Rutherford


Although the Cornish winter weather is rather gruesome and damp, the country side is ever more amazing and worth a look at! Has anyone else been out in the damp weather or had any epic storms lately?




No comments:

Post a Comment